Peppermint essential oil has many benefits for the body.
The aroma is widely used in candy, but the oil does much more than add flavor.
It has actually been in use for centuries as a remedy for sinus, respiratory and digestive problems. The stems, flower buds and leaves are all steam distilled to get the essential oil and the natural aroma of the plant is minty but sweet.
Essential oil of peppermint is used in supporting joint and muscle health, nervous, digestive and also respiratory systems.
It has a cooling effect on the skin, but it might cause tingling in people who have sensitive skin.
It should be kept away from the eyes because it can be irritating. Before using any essential oil, always remember to do a skin test so that you know which oils you can use safely.
It is also important to dilute oils that are highly concentrated and scorching for the skin.
· Essential oil of peppermint promotes respiratory function, health and also promotes clear breathing.
· It alleviates stomach aches and discomforts
· It is also used to promote oral health and is often found in chewing gums and toothpastes.
· It rejuvenates and uplifts the mind and heart, keeping stress, fear, sadness and pain at bay.
· It offers great relief to people suffering from hopelessness, pessimism and grief by promoting better understanding and calmness of the nerves.
Essential oil of peppermint can be used with wild orange, spearmint and wintergreen for improved results, especially when used to relieve stress and to uplift your moods and spirits.
Using essential oil of peppermint
1. For a clean and fresh mouth, use a drop of the essential oil and lemon in water and then use the water to rinse the mouth. You will have a fresh mouth for longer because the combination kills bacteria in the mouth. Note: Don’t swallow.
2. To re-energize without having to snack, you have to apply a little of the oil on the palms before inhaling deeply. You will be surprised by how rejuvenated and energized you will feel after the inhalation.
3. To get rid of ticks, place a drop onto the tick and then wait a few minutes to see the tick back out or fall off the host easily.
4. You can also use the oil to enhance your mental clarity by applying a drop of the oil onto your temples.
5. If you want to soothe a skin salve, combine 2 cups of oil (such as olive oil) with quarter a cup of beeswax and then heat until the two combine.
You can then add 15-20 drops of peppermint essential oil while the solution is still hot and 15 drops of essential oils of lavender before using.
6. If you are looking for a cooling spray, then you can also use this essential oil to get exactly what you are looking for. Simply combine the oil and water in your spray bottle, then mist to enjoy that cooling effect.
7. Using the oil, you can also make an invigorating lip balm. Heat two tablespoons of oil with a tablespoon of beeswax and then add 10 drops of peppermint into the combination and allow cooling. You can then use when firm and cooled.
Discover more about essential oils in every issue of the Herbal Collective. Sign-up for a free sample issue today.