Your gut health is of utmost importance so here are 10 great tips to improve your digestive health.
Your entire body is affected directly by it, as there are many things you can do to improve your digestive health. Here are some important steps you can take to change yours for the better today.
- Drink warm water with a freshly squeezed lemon each morning when you wake up. Drink it as soon as you rise, and before you have eaten anything. This will stimulate and cleanse your liver, as well as support digestive hydrochloric acid in your stomach.
2. Exercise regularly. Exercise will help your digestion by keeping things moving through your system and preventing constipation. A 30-minute daily walk is enough to help stimulate your intestinal muscles to contract.
3. Supplement with probiotics. This will establish a healthy gut flora, encouraging the healthy bacteria to flourish and the bad bacteria to diminish in amount. You can choose a supplement, or get your daily dose through yogurt or fermented foods.
4. Eat plenty of fibre. This helps push the food through your digestive system, preventing constipation. Up your fiber intake by eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
5. Be sure to drink enough water daily. Water benefits the digestive system by assisting in breaking down the food you consume, and flushing out toxins that would interfere with digestion. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses per day.
6. Sit down to eat. Avoid eating while on the go. When you are hungry and it is time to eat, sit down at the table and enjoy your meal. Chew and eat slowly to prevent swallowing air, which can cause cramps and indigestion. Take time to enjoy your meal and you will be rewarded with a better digestive system.
7. Maintain a healthy weight. When you are more than an adequate weight for your specific body, it can put pressure on your abdominal area, causing acid reflux and heartburn. By staying within a healthy BMI range, you can ease up on this unnecessary pressure.
8. Avoid sugar. This substance makes it difficult for your digestive system to maintain the right balance of gut flora. Since sugar provides food for the unhealthy bacteria, cut it back entirely, or at least as much as possible.
9. Limit fatty foods. These foods are difficult for your body to digest, and they slow down the transit time of your digestion. Consume healthy fats, but reduce your intake of fried foods, trans fats and everything else unsuitable for regular consumption. Choose lean meats, and include plenty of low fat protein sources such as nuts, beans, and quinoa.
10. Eat meals on a regular schedule. Your body thrives with routine. By eating your meals around the same time every day, you will assist your body in its digestion and elimination.
There are several ways you can improve your digestive health. Because it is such an important part of the overall health of your body, you would be wise to improve it in any way possible. By following these 10 simple steps, you can greatly improve your digestion and reap all the benefits it brings.