Alkaline water, which is less acidic than regular tap water, is believed to neutralize acids in the body.
Supporters say it can help prevent many health concerns and issues along with providing better metabolism, hydration and energy. Here are some of the aspects that you need to know about alkaline water.
1. Stream water is known to be alkaline. As the regular water passes through the rocks, it collects minerals and other deposits, which changes the pH level (potential hydrogen) and makes it more alkaline.
Few of us has access to new stream or spring water and we have so many different brands of packaged beverages. These drinks, mostly water, are rich in a number of alkalizing compounds. The list includes bicarbonate, magnesium, and calcium.
2. It is believed that regular consumption of alkaline water will help in buffering acidity, which can lead to better fitness and health.
Alkaline water has a higher pH than tap water. This high pH is believed to make the body more resistant to disease and chronic health conditions.
3. So, should you drink alkaline water?
The pH of tap water should be between 6.5 and 8.5, though tap water in the U.S. falls below that, in the 4.3 to 5.3 range.
while most of the packaged water bottles that claim to be alkaline have a pH of 8 or more. The claims made are pretty much believable. It is believed that the high pH works on bettering the overall metabolism rate and can have a direct impact on weight loss efforts. Alkaline water also works wonder on regulating acid and blood sugar levels, which can help diabetic patients.
4. Alkaline water is safe to drink, with no known side effects other than it may make the skin dry or itchy and cause mild stomach upset. Unless you have a kidney disease, alkaline water doesn’t have any risks.
Alkaline water is believed to contribute to a quick detox to the body. Some brands have added electrolytes, which can lead to a natural energy boost. Some believe that the concept can help with body pain, especially chronic pain related to arthritis.
5. As a customer, you need to be extra cautious about the overall pH level of a brand before you make it a regular choice. Some brands offer packaged water with pH of 9 and more. Do your research and make sure that you read the label to find the compounds that have been added to the mix. Alkaline water can affect the taste of anything it is added to, such as coffee or tea. Adding herbs or sliced citrus fruits can add to the flavour.
The important thing is to make sure you get enough hydration during the day.
To learn more about herbs and natural health, get a free sample of the Herbal Collective magazine.